Sydnor Update

Friday, April 28, 2006

...like riding on a train

I have already said once, "life is like riding on an airplane." Now I can say, "life is like riding on a train."

I rushed to the train station this morning and was buying my ticket from the machine as I heard the announcement that my train was arriving. Thirty seconds later, I heard another announcement for the same platform --and I thought "Oh they just announced the train."

I finished buying the ticket, ran to the platform and jumped on the train in the same place that I have always gotten on the train to go to Vienna. Everything looked the same. However 40 minutes later, I realized that I had gotten on the train headed in the wrong direction. For some reason, they had switched the side of the platform that the train to Vienna left from, and I had not noticed or read this. I was on the wrong train and the wrong track. This happens.

Finally, with some good help from the conductor who showed me I was on the wrong train, a lot of extra time, and a big detour, I made it to my destination.

Today on the train, I found myself literally in the middle of an incredibly complex issue that has been coming up recently in a number of ways. I have been thinking a lot about the issue of our moral lives -our sense of right and wrong. What do I do with morality as I talk with Josef about his baby? Today I truly felt there IS a right train to Vienna -and I was not on it.

I think it is easy to make lots of rules in order to live a moral life. Morality becomes our God. We cut God out when we overlook the process that God wants to walk through in order to get us to our destination. What takes more trust -to follow our rules or to ride on the wrong train?

1 Comments:

  • Good point - when we look at morality as an 'end' it can bite us on the behind and almost reverse the reason morality serves us.

    Don't you think morality is a means God gave us in order to live right, so as to please him?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home