Sydnor Update

Saturday, February 25, 2006

Symbiosis - Refugee missionaries

One of the values we have in refugee ministry is called "symbiosis". By this we mean that refugees are not only people in crisis needing help but they are also people with much to offer. For example we have been helping an African refugee named James. James has started to visit a 50 year old austrian man from one of the local churches who had a stroke 9 months ago and is now an invalid. These visits began when Werner invited James to come along with him. James has so encouraged this severely handicapped man and his wife. James prays for him daily and the woman has said that James is the only one who has recognized her standing with her husband through this difficult trial.

I spent the afternoon with James yesterday. We talked about his experience now in Austria as a refugee. He has been here a year. He had to flee for his life suddenly when his family came under political persecution. James shared that everyday is a gift of God's grace.

"I am here for a purpose and I thank God for bringing me here. I have all I need. I have God's Word and I am so thankful for what God has done in my life. Everyday I tap into God's grace. ...I want to contribute to Austria. This country is so lost. We in Africa think that when we come to the West and to Europe that we will find a strong Church, because this is the Church's home. In reality the spiritual life here has flat-lined. In my country you are looked up to, honored and respected as a Christian."

We talked about how James is a missionary to Austria. The contribution, faith and encouragement he brings is unmatched. In fact there would be no other way for James to come here -as a missionary- except to come as a refugee. He would never receive a visa, and he could never afford the support!

I asked how it is to go through the trials of refugee life. "Do you get down about it sometimes?" James explained, "I don't even go there. I look at all I have in God's Word. There is so much more in the Bible and I remind myself of this. I thank God that I have a room and a bed and something to eat and I remind myself that where I am now is only for a season."

I think that refugees are the next generation of missionaries which God will use in Europe to keep the Church alive. Refugees come from a place of weakness and suffering and this has always been part of God's kingdom strategy.

1 Comments:

  • amen to that, paul! indeed, refugees are not only people in need -they have much to offer.

    any chance you could post an edited down version of this to the insider? would be nice...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home